SBI PO Syllabus
SBI is soon expected to release the official notification for the recruitment of Probationary Officers for 2023. Candidates can check for the notification and further details here once it is released on the official website. Aspiring candidatesmust be looking for a complete SBI PO syllabus 2023 to start with the preparation. Well, you have come to the right place then. This article will help you with complete details of the exam starting with the exam pattern and covering the detailed exam syllabus. The first priority is to ace the Prelims exam that will be coming up soon after the release of notification.
Attempt a Mock Test now!
SBI PO Syllabus 2023
The SBI PO Prelims syllabus and Mains syllabus are similar in some aspects. Reasoning Ability and English Language sections are more or less similar for the SBI PO Prelims and SBI PO Mains. Apart from this, the mains exam has Computer ability, general awareness, and a Data analysis & interpretations section. This is in addition to the Reasoning Ability and English Language section. Here we will give you a detailed section-wise topic distribution for both SBI PO prelims and SBI PO mains. This will help you better understand what could be your preparation strategy for the SBI PO exam.
SBI PO Prelims Syllabus
Candidates who are willing to appear for the examination must have a proper knowledge regarding the Preliminary examination syllabus. Prelims syllabus will help candidates in creating a planning strategy for beginning of their preparation journey. We have mentioned below the detailed subject-wise syllabus for the SBI PO Prelims.
SBI PO Quant Syllabus
Here is a list of topics that are covered in the quant section. A detailed topic explanation is given for a better understanding.
1. Average - Questions based on heights/ age/ marks can be expected from this topic. The formation of questions is very basic from this topic, but interpreting will be the key.
2. Percentages - It is like the building block for further topics like profit & loss and SI, CI. 1 liner questions are asked from this topic.
3. Profit & Loss - This will include questions on Profit or Loss on selling price, Profit or Loss on cost price, finding selling price, cost price or market price (Seller & Traders)
4. Simple Interest & Compound Interest - Finding interest over the amount lent, partnerships, and bank interest are the types of questions that come under this topic.
5. Series - 2 types of series are basically in focus, missing, and the wrong number series. A series of numbers is given with a particular pattern. Track the pattern and answer the next number or remove the ones not falling on order.
6. Data Interpretations - Bar graphs, pie-chart, tables, etc are used to represent data and you will have to decode the data and answer the questions followed.
7. Probability - The possibility of happening an event is given and related questions are followed. Probability is also the base for taking up Permutations and combinations questions.
8. Simplifications - It includes questions about multiple mathematical operations taking place. Numbers could be undergoing any mathematical operations.
9. Mixtures & Ratio Proportion - Questions related to the mixing of 2 or more solutions or any product is the highlight of this topic. You will have to find out the share of each solution & often might have to find the ratio.
10. Time & Work - More than 1 person taking time to complete the job is given, individual time is taken or days taken have to be calculated. This is very commonly seen in exams.
11. Time, Speed & Distance - Boats, trains or any other vehicle traveling from one point to another has certain things to calculate like, time, speed, and the distance covered.
12. Mensuration - All the mathematical shapes (square, cube, rhombus, rectangle, cylinder, sphere) are part of this topic. Calculating their area, volume etc is asked in the exam.
SBI PO Reasoning Syllabus
A broad list of topics is mentioned with their detailed explanation followed.
1. Alphanumeric Series - A mix of words and alphabet is given which is forming a series. Finding out the answer by tracking the pattern is needed. The number could be the missing term or the next term.
2. Arrangements - There are 3 types of arrangements most commonly asked in the exam (Circular, Seating & Parallel). Arranging the people with the given information and then answering the questions followed.
3. Puzzles - Puzzles can be formed on a box, stack, caselet, etc. You will have to interpret the information and approach the questions asked accordingly.
4. Blood Relations - This will include figuring out the relation between 2 individuals based on the information provided.
5. Syllogism - 2 or more statements will be provided with conclusions and you have to answer whether the given statements follow the conditions and are true or not.
6. Data Sufficiency - It has given conditions based on which you have to answer whether the information given is sufficient enough to answer. Options will be provided for these question types.
7. Coding/Decoding - A word will be given along with a supporting word and you will have to figure out the relation between the words to answer the questions that will be followed.
8. Direction Sense - Aspirants are quizzed on their understanding of directions like north, west, south, and east. Location is given in parts and you will be combining the information to get the answer.
SBI PO English Syllabus
1. Reading Comprehension - A brief paragraph is given followed by the questions. Questions are based on the paragraph mentioned. Types of questions followed are inference-based, direct, synonym, antonym, filler, etc.
2. Cloze Test - This includes a complete paragraph with fillers in between where an appropriate word needs to be filled. Options are given to choose from.
3. Sentence Correction - A sentence is given and a part of the sentence contains an error. You have to figure out the error and pick the correct choice from the option.
4. Error Detection - This sentence includes sentences that are broken into parts and are mentioned as options. Choosing the correct part which contains error is the key. If there is no error just mark the option with ‘No Error' written. Mostly grammar or vocabulary-based.
5. Phrase Replacement - In this topic, a candidate's knowledge of English is put to test. You guys will be asked to replace a verb/ phrase with a more relevant one.
6. Fillers - Fill in the blanks is something that you are already familiar with. Here you have to fill in the blanks with relevant words from the option. Thus, making the sentence meaningful.
7. Synonyms/ Antonyms - Word meanings and the opposite of the meaning of the given word also is a part of this section. Questions from this topic are seen in the Cloze test or RC very often. Here is the compiled syllabus in the format of a table.
|Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus||Reasoning Syllabus||English Syllabus|
|Simplification/ Approximation||Alphanumeric Series||Reading Comprehension|
|Profit & Loss||Directions||Fill in the blanks|
|Mixtures & Allegations||Logical Reasoning||Cloze Test|
|Permutation, Combination & Probability||Data Sufficiency||Para jumbles|
|Work & Time||Ranking & Order||Vocabulary|
|Sequence & Series||Alphabet Test||Paragraph Completion|
|Simple Interest & Compound Interest||Seating Arrangement||Multiple Meaning /Error Spotting|
|Surds & Indices||Coded Inequalities||Sentence Completion|
|Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||Puzzle||Tenses Rules|
|Time & Distance||Syllogism|| |
|Data Interpretation||Blood Relations|
|Ratio & Proportion||Coding-Decoding|
Attempt a Mock Test now!
SBI PO Mains Syllabus
We have mentioned below the detailed SBI PO mains syllabus for the candidates. Aspiring candidates can check the subject-wise syllabus of mains with the brief description of the topics.
SBI PO English Syllabus
The English language is a section that is common to both Prelims & Mains phases. Although the syllabus for prelims and mains is similar, the change is in the difficulty level of the paper. More emphasis is being put on Reading Comprehension & Cloze Test in the mains exam. You can refer to the syllabus by scrolling up.
SBI PO Computer Aptitude Syllabus
1. Memory - Computer-based memory, internal and external related questions appear in this topic.
2. Operating System - A system that manages software and hardware and resources inside the system. Questions on this topic range from types of OS to their development
3. Computer Hardware - This will include questions from the hardware parts of the system, including CPU, Memory unit, Monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.
4. Internet - This topic needs no introduction, a basic entity that is enabling them to connect and find anything and everything at the reach of their hands.
5. Computer Software - Insides of the computer that makes the operations and functions happen to constitute this section. Operating System, Antivirus, and Software, all are covered in this topic.
6. Microsoft Office - Microsoft Office or MS Office is the grand product of Microsoft. Today MS Office is used worldwide in every segment. Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are all products of MS Office.
7. Computer Abbreviations - Computer abbreviations like OS, RAM, ROM, etc can be asked in this topic.
8. Networking - It is defined as the connection system that is done at the internal end to meet the desired task. Connecting people on the computer system is the best example of networking.
SBI PO Data Analysis & Interpretation Syllabus
1. Graph-Based Questions - This topic covers a pool of topics. Graphs can be based on Bar, pie-chart, tabular, linear. Pieces of information are given in one of these formats and are followed by a group of fo questions. These questions can be scoring as putting time solve just one graph can help you take up at least 5 questions followed
2. Missing Case DI - A table of information is given supported by a few statements which will have certain blocks empty. You will need to comprehend the information and fill the tables with suitable information.
3. Data Sufficiency - Multiple statements are given based on which 1 or 2 conclusions are drawn. Figuring out if those given statements lead you to find answers or not will be the key.
4. Permutations and Combinations - A set of information is given & conditions to choose the information are provided. The formation of questions is fairly direct and logical.
5. Caselet - A caselet is nothing but a set of information given in paragraph form. No pictorial representation of information is used. Questions followed have to be answered based on the information.
6. Probability - Probability questions will be formula-based often and sometimes direct but the level of the questions will vary.
SBI PO General Awareness Syllabus
This section is surely the most score of all topics, but this requires diligent follow-ups and revision. Also, this can be a vast topic given the diversity and possibilities of questions coming from any topic. It includes Current Affairs, Banking Awareness, Static Awareness, Financial & Economic Awareness, and General Knowledge.
Attempt a Mock Test now!
SBI PO Mains Syllabus in Compiled Format
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||Reasoning||General/Economy/Banking Awareness||English Language||Computer |
|Tabular Graph||Verbal Reasoning||Current Affairs||Reading Comprehension||Internet|
|Line Graph||Syllogism||Financial Awareness||Grammar||Memory|
|Bar Graph||Circular Seating Arrangement||General Knowledge||Verbal Ability||Keyboard Shortcuts|
|Charts & Tables||Linear Seating Arrangement||Static Awareness||Vocabulary||Computer Abbreviation|
|Missing Case DI||Double Lineup||Banking Terminologies Knowledge||Sentence Improvement||Microsoft Office|
|Radar Graph Caselet||Scheduling||Banking Awareness||Word Association||Computer Hardware|
|Probability||Input Output||Principles of Insurance||Para Jumbles||Computer Software|
|Data Sufficiency||Blood Relations|| ||Error Spotting||Computer Fundamentals /Terminologies|
|Let it Case DI||Directions and Distances||Cloze Test||Networking|
|Permutation and Combination||Ordering and Ranking||Fill in the blanks||Number System|
|Pie Charts||Data Sufficiency|| ||Operating System|
| ||Coding and Decoding||Basic of Logic Gates|
|Code Inequalities|| |
|Course of Action|
|Analytical and Decision Making|
SBI PO Preparation Strategy For Prelims & Mains
Here I will be sharing, what should be your approach and plan to tackle the SBI PO Exam. This preparation Strategy will effectively help you devise your plan study to prepare for SBI PO. The strategy will be section-wise for clarity.
Although when preparing for prelims, be in touch with the high-level questions for the mains exam as well. This will boost your confidence.
English Section Preparation Strategy
- Three very basic things form the base of the English section, grammar, vocabulary & Reading Comprehension. Each has its unique way of preparation and approach. Let's discuss this in detail.
- Make reading your priority. Vocabulary is not built overnight. It takes time and perseverance to master. Regularly follow the newspaper for your choice and read editorial articles religiously.
- Make a list of important words, their meanings, and antonyms that you come across while reading.
- Follow basic grammar rules from a book of your choice or you can follow video lectures.
- Practice Reading Comprehension from different sources and do not categorize. Attempt all possible RC to get a wide idea.
- Practice Questions and brush up your preparations with a free mock test.
Reasoning Section Preparation Strategy
- This section requires you to think logically and out of the box. Approaches can be basic but interpretations have to be accurate.
- Practice as many questions as possible. Pay special inference to Puzzles and Syllogism.
- Get a Complete Set of questions for all reasoning topics.
- Practice puzzles and DI simultaneously as these are among the favorite topics for the exam authorities.
Quant Section Preparation Strategy
- Take SBI PO Mock Tests regularly to understand which section needs more attention.
- Prepare for topics that pose challenges for you with the free sectional mock test. Watch Youtube videos from experts to get the most effective and fast techniques.
- Download the maths short tricks calculation pdf here to help you with the calculations.
- Practice types of questions by taking a complete free mock test. It will give you a real-time experience of the exam before the actual exam.
SBI PO Prelims Exam Pattern
|S.No.||Name of Subjects||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|1||English Language||30||30||20 minutes|
|2||Quantitative Aptitude||35||35||20 minutes|
|3||Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 minutes|
SBI PO Mains Exam Pattern
This year the mains exam pattern has been changed, following are the details of the SBI PO mains exam pattern.
- The main Examination will be conducted online and will consist of Objective Tests for 200 marks and Descriptive Tests for 50 marks.
- The Descriptive Test will be administered immediately after the conclusion of the Objective Test and candidates will have to type their Descriptive Test answers on the computer.
|Test||Name of the test||No. of Qs.||Max. Marks||Duration|
|I||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||40||50||50 min|
|II||Data Analysis & Interpretation||30||50||45 min|
|III||General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness||50||60||45 min|
|IV||English Language||35||40||40 min|
| ||Total||155||200||3 hour|
| ||Descriptive Paper-English Language (Letter Writing & Essay)||2||50||30 min|
| ||Grand Total|| ||250 marks|| |
- A negative marking of 1/4th will be applicable in both prelims and mains exams.
- Sectional Marks will not be maintained for both Preliminary & Main Examinations